Washington University of St. Louis Staff Scientist - Pediatrics Newborn Medicine - 45355 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Pediatrics Newborn Medicine. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Highly motivated position working in a laboratory that studies Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency using a C. elegans model. Assists in developing and conducting research projects, including experimental design, data analysis and documentation of experimental results.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and perform complex experiments using molecular biology, biochemistry and genetic techniques.
- Execute high-throughput genetic and small molecule screens and carries out detailed follow-up studies.
- Conduct literature searches related to research project.
- Perform complex statistical analysis of data collected and write interpretative reports.
- Document research and assist in the preparation and submission of manuscripts for publication.
- Assist with grant preparation and reporting.
- Present findings at meetings and conferences.
Master’s degree with 4 years of experience in research lab operations or equivalent combination of education and experience equaling 9 years required.
- Experience with C. elegans is desirable but not required (will receive full training to work with the organism).
- Analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to analyze and interpret statistical data and to communicate data in a clear, concise manner.
- Computer literacy including the ability to use a variety of software packages to analyze data.
The hiring range for this position is $46,779 - $63,170 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
Works in laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological, chemical and radioactive hazards. Must be physically able to wear protective equipment. Must be able to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Staff Scientist - Pediatrics Newborn Medicine - 45355
Job ID: 45355
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time