Washington University of St. Louis Staff Scientist - Genetics - 49868 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Genetics. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
This position assists in developing and conducting research projects, including experimental design, data analysis and documentation of experimental results.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Following instructions and discussions with the principal investigator, designs research protocols, including developing procedures for the collection, verification and management of data.
- Assists with grant preparation and reporting.
- Performs complex statistical analysis of data collected and writes interpretative reports. Verifies the correctness of the data submitted and makes recommendations based on these analyses.
- Documents research topics and prepares and submits papers based on research work to publications and committees for publication or presentation to peers.
- Solves practical problems relating to difficulties with equipment or test subjects. Suggests technical or procedural improvements in testing methods.
- Conducts literature searches related to research project.
Master’s degree with four years of experience in research lab operations or an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling nine years.
- Ph.D. degree in molecular biology, genetics or a related discipline is desirable.
- Mammalian cell culture experience.
- Highly skilled in molecular biology, including techniques, experimental design and troubleshooting.
- Ability to work independently yet collaboratively in a team environment.
- Hands-on experience with CRIPSR technology.
- Experience with iPSC or hESC is a plus.
- Experience with high throughput screening is a plus.
- Experience with next-generation sequencing.
- Knowledge in bioinformatics is a plus.
- Experience in automation is a plus.
The hiring range for this position is $46,779 - $63,170 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
The GEiC’s (http://geic.wustl.edu/) primary mission is to create accurate research models in cancer and stem cell lines as well as animals to enable mechanistic studies, drug discovery and therapeutic development. As one of the largest genome engineering core facilities in the nation, the GEiC supports over 100 labs on WU campus and many externally. Now part of the McDonnell Genome Institute, the GEiC is positioned to grow substantially in both operations and R&D, in areas of molecular biology, cell line engineering and stem cell technologies. If you are looking for a challenging job in a fun-loving group, come join us to learn and contribute.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Staff Scientist - Genetics - 49868
Job ID: 49868
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time