Washington University of St. Louis Staff Scientist - Endocrinology, Metabolism and Lipid Research - 49134 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Lipid Research. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The Semenkovich Lab is interested in lipid metabolism and how it promotes atherosclerosis in the setting of obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes. Working in the areas of vascular protein acylation, de novo lipogenesis and inflammation in diabetes, research will include animal care and housing, WUCCI imaging (TIRF, STORM, prep, etc), chemical compound screening, vascular biobanks, RNA sequencing, phenotyping, mass spectrometry (proteomics and lipodomics), and cell sorting. Position assists in developing and conducting research projects, including experimental design, data analysis and documentation of experimental results.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Following instructions and discussions with the principal investigator, designs research protocols, including developing procedures for the collection, verification and management of data.
- Assists with grant preparation and reporting.
- Performs complex statistical analysis of data collected and writes interpretative reports. Verifies the correctness of the data submitted and makes recommendations based on these analyses.
- Documents research topics and prepares and submits papers based on research work to publications and committees for publication or presentation to peers.
- Solves practical problems relating to difficulties with equipment or test subjects. Suggests technical or procedural improvements in testing methods.
- Conducts literature searches related to research project.
Master’s degree with four years of experience in research lab operations or an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling nine years.
- Ph.D. level experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in implementing laboratory procedures, conducting research and recording findings.
- Computer competency (in both PC and Mac) and working knowledge of software systems. Conversance with the Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.), EndNote, PRISM, Adobe Illustrator, and analytical statistical software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact successfully with a broad range of individuals within the University.
- Proven ability to maintain details, complete and organize records/reports.
- Ability to work independently and be highly organized.
- Analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Ability to analyze and interpret statistical data and to communicate data in a clear, concise manner.
- Computer literacy, including the ability to use a variety of software packages to analyze data.
The hiring range for this position is $46,779 - $63,170 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological, chemical and radioactive hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Staff Scientist - Endocrinology, Metabolism and Lipid Research - 49134
Job ID: 49134
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time