Washington University of St. Louis Research Technician II - Neuroscience - 49376 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Position hours are generally 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Neuroscience. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Dr. Adam Kepecs' newly established laboratory at Washington University uses cutting edge tools from systems neuroscience, including electrophysiology and optogenetics to investigate the neural circuits underlying decision making. The technician will assist other lab members with the technical aspects of studies and experiments, including documentation and preparation of materials.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with research studies, experiments and assays, including small animal procedures, electrophysiology, optogenetics, and histology experiments by performing collection of data, preparation of solutions and set-up and maintenance of equipment.
- Performs data entry and maintains data files on research.
- Complies with established safety procedures and maintains required documentation on laboratory and specimen conditions.
- Ensures lab conditions and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained in accordance with established procedures.
- Assists with general lab tasks and maintenance including cleaning, ordering supplies, autoclaving, setting up and maintaining equipment, maintaining protocols, preparing stock solutions, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and up to one year of experience in a laboratory setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling four years.
- Bachelor's degree in life, biological or quantitative sciences (e.g. neuroscience, biology, psychology, biomedical engineering, bioinformatics, physics).
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Prior experience in animal handling, electrophysiology and/or histology would be highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and communicate with laboratory staff and investigators.
- Ability to maintain complete and organized records and reports.
- Working knowledge of computer software and general lab equipment.
The hiring range for this position is $14.07 - $18.99 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Technician II - Neuroscience - 49376
Job ID: 49376
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time