Washington University of St. Louis Research Technician II - Molecular Microbiology - 42584 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Molecular Microbiology. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The Caparon Laboratory is seeking a highly motivated individual to assist with innovative research in the areas of microbiology, immunology, molecular biology, and biochemistry. In the Caparon Laboratory, we study the molecular details of Streptococcus pyogenes(strep throat pathogen) pathogenesis, from the perspective of both the host and the pathogen. We use a combination of genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, and animal models of disease to seek better understanding of how S. pyogenes augments the host immune response and tissue damage to establish infection. We have done extensive work on a streptococcal toxin, streptolysin O (SLO), that functions by making pores in host membranes and translocates another toxin, NAD glycohydrolase (SPN) into host cytosol. We have identified residues responsible for host cell binding, yet many aspects of this toxins role in disease and host interaction remain unknown. In addition to these mechanistic studies, the technician will be responsible in contributing to general lab upkeep, assisting with technical aspects of studies and experiments including documentation and preparation of materials.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with research studies, experiments, and assays including basic molecular biology (DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, cloning), sterile cell culture, mouse studies, collection of data, preparation of solutions, and set-up and maintenance of equipment.
- Performs data entry and maintains data files on research.
- Prepares tissue cultures, reagents, media, etc.
- Complies with established safety procedures and maintains required documentation on laboratory and specimen conditions.
- Ensures lab conditions and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained in accordance with established procedures.
- Assists with general lab maintenance and cleaning, ordering of lab supplies, obtaining quotes for purchases, and receiving orders upon delivery.
Bachelor’s degree and up to 1 year of experience in a laboratory setting or equivalent combination of education and experience equaling 4 years required.
- Bachelor’s degree in microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, or similar field.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and communicate with laboratory staff and investigators.
- Ability to maintain complete and organized records/reports.
- Working knowledge of computer software (MS Word and Excel) and general lab equipment.
The hiring range for this position is $14.07 - $18.99 per hour.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please visit our website at http://hr.wustl.edu to view a summary of benefits.
Applicant Special Instructions
Works in laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological, chemical and radioactive hazards. Must be physically able to wear protective equipment. Must be able to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Technician II - Molecular Microbiology - 42584
Job ID: 42584
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time