Washington University of St. Louis Research Technician II - McDonnell Genome Institute - 49326 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Weekends may be required, as well as late morning to early evening shifts.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the McDonnell Genome Institute on the Medical School Campus.
The Genome Technology Access Center at the McDonnell Genome Institute (GTAC@MGI) was formed in 2019 and represents a union of the institution’s two major genomics research facilities. The combined unit provides scale and efficiencies to investigators that are offered by few other facilities in the nation. GTAC@MGI provides access to all of its genomics technologies and services to researchers at Washington University and beyond. GTAC@MGI offers comprehensive next-gen sequencing, microarray, PCR, and other specialized services. In addition to generating high quality genomic and transcriptomic data, we also perform data analysis and provide technological support to users to ensure maximum data value. Our goal is to return data of the highest quality and help researchers make biological sense out of the massive amounts of information generated in these experiments.
This position assists with the technical aspects of studies and experiments in the Sample Preparation laboratory, including documentation and preparation of materials.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with research studies, experiments and assays, including sample handling and processing, collection of data, preparation of solutions and set-up and maintenance of equipment.
- Performs sample barcoding, amplification, and library generation.
- Performs data entry and maintains data files on research. Assesses incoming cell suspension concentrations, DNA yields, cDNA yields and size, and final recoveries.
- Properly labels and stores all libraries/dilutions in the freezer system. Utilizes proper tracking steps to prevent sample mislabeling.
- Complies with established safety procedures and maintains required documentation on laboratory and specimen conditions. Maintains collaborator communication.
- Ensures lab conditions and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained in accordance with established procedures.
- Assists with general lab maintenance and cleaning.
Bachelor’s degree and up to one year of experience in a laboratory setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling four years.
- Laboratory molecular biology experience – research and/or clinical.
- Experience with genomics research studies, experiments and assays.
- Understanding of data entry, as well as the management/integrity of data.
- Experience with data management systems and software, particularly LIMs systems and Microsoft Excel.
- Comfortable in a Microsoft Windows environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and communicate effectively with the supervisor, as well as investigators.
- Troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to maintain complete and organized records.
- Working knowledge of computer software and general lab equipment.
- Multitasking skills are highly desired.
The hiring range for this position is $14.07 - $18.99 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Technician II - McDonnell Genome Institute - 49326
Job ID: 49326
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time