Washington University of St. Louis Research Technician II - Genetics - 49916 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Genetics. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The opportunity is with the Dougherty Lab of the departments of Genetics and Psychiatry. We are a lab that utilizes models and human genetics studies to investigate the genetic contribution to psychiatric disorders, especially autism. We are hiring now for a technician interested in molecular neuroscience to help with functional validation of psychiatric disease associated mutations that may impact transcription or translation in cell lines or the brain.
This position assists with the technical aspects of studies and experiments, including documentation and preparation of materials. We are looking for motivated, independent, organized and collegial individuals. The position will primarily entail standard molecular biology (PCR, cloning, plasmid preparation, etc.), some cell culture, and advanced molecular methods such as TRAP, sequencing library preparation for Illumina, and massively parallel reporter assays.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with research studies, experiments and assays, including collection of data, preparation of solutions and set-up and maintenance of equipment.
- Performs data entry and maintains data files on research.
- Prepares tissue cultures, reagents, probe tests, etc.
- Complies with established safety procedures and maintains required documentation on laboratory and specimen conditions.
- Ensures lab conditions and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained in accordance with established procedures.
- Assists with general lab maintenance and cleaning.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and up to one year of experience in a laboratory setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling four years.
- Ability to maintain complete and organized records/reports.
- Working knowledge of computer software and general lab equipment.
- Knowledge of standard molecular biology (PCR, cloning, plasmid preparation, etc.).
- Proven ability to perform in a laboratory environment.
- Excellent skills at the bench and ability to be highly productive and efficient.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and communicate with laboratory staff and investigators.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific field with molecular biology experience.
- Experience with cell culture
- Comfort with occasional rodent handling.
- Expertise with statistical and computational approaches for data analysis is a plus.
- Experience with a subset of advanced molecular methods such as TRAP, sequencing library preparation for Illumina, and massively parallel reporter assays would also be excellent, but we are willing to provide additional training in these methods to otherwise qualified applicants.
The hiring range for this position is $14.07 - $18.99 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Technician II - Genetics - 49916
Job ID: 49916
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time