Washington University of St. Louis Research Assistant - Pathology/Immunology - Immunobiology - 47851 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Pathology and Immunology, Division of Immunobiology. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
This opportunity is with the Kipnis Lab in the Department of Pathology & Immunology. We are a lab that focuses on mouse models to study the immune systems and responses in the brain. The work required for this position entails some mouse handling, genotyping and other basic molecular biology, and assistance with basic mouse surgical procedures.
This position assists with research studies, experiments, preparation of material and documentation.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts research experiments and assays.
- Evaluates research results, reporting findings and discussing project outcomes with staff involved.
- Performs data entry and maintains data files on research.
- Coordinates tissue cultures, reagents, probe tests, etc.
- Complies with established safety procedures and maintains required documentation on laboratory and specimen conditions.
- Coordinates research project with other institutions and investigators.
- Participates in developing hypotheses to be tested and ways of testing it.
- Assists with general supply/equipment orders, lab maintenance and cleaning.
- Performs literature research on specified topics.
Equivalent of a bachelor’s degree with two to three years of experience in laboratory operations.
- Prior experience with standard molecular biology, including PCR and gel electrophoresis.
- Comfort with rodent handling and basic animal surgical techniques.
- Basic knowledge of the immunology or neuroscience fields.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and communicate with laboratory staff and investigators.
- Ability to maintain complete and organized records/reports.
- Working knowledge of computer software and general lab equipment.
- Ability to be motivated, independent, organized and collegial.
- Demonstrated ability to implement general laboratory procedures, conduct research, and record findings, with focus on pursuit of advanced education in field.
The hiring range for this position is $15.46 - $20.88 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Assistant - Pathology/Immunology - Immunobiology - 47851
Job ID: 47851
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time