Washington University of St. Louis Research Assistant - Neurosurgery - 49947 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Neurosurgery. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
This position is in the Brain Tumor Research Center and the Department of Neurological Surgery assists with research studies, experiments, preparation of materials, and documentation.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts research experiments and assays (e.g. preparing DNA and RNA libraries, including single-cell, for sequencing).
- Evaluates research results, reporting findings and discussing project outcomes with staff involved.
- Performs data entry and maintains data files on research (e.g. tracks samples and data associated with each sample, including sample ID numbers, sequencing status, work orders, patient consent, etc.).
- Coordinates tissue cultures, reagents, probe tests, etc.
- Complies with established safety procedures and maintains required documentation on laboratory and specimen conditions.
- Coordinates research project with other institutions and investigators.
- Participates in developing hypotheses to be tested and ways of testing it.
- Assists with general supply/equipment orders, lab maintenance and cleaning.
- Performs literature research on specified topics.
Equivalent of a bachelor’s degree with two to three years of experience in laboratory operations.
- Molecular biology experience.
- Experience in genomic library preparation and cell culture is strongly preferred.
- Experience with mice and microscopy.
- Proficiency with Excel, Google Docs, and other tools for data tracking.
- Working knowledge of genetics and cell biology.
- Meticulous organizational skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
The hiring range for this position is $15.46 - $20.88 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
The Department of Neurological Surgery provides comprehensive patient care services, from diagnosis through treatment. In existence since 1919, the department offers its services at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children's Hospital, both nationally recognized for excellence. Both hospitals are the most technologically advanced in the region, offering patients the latest in diagnosis and treatment.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Assistant - Neurosurgery - 49947
Job ID: 49947
Location: Medical School