Washington University of St. Louis Psychiatry in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Psychiatry. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
We are seeking applicants for a Staff Scientist position to work with genetic and genomic data from Alzheimer’s disease (AD) cases and controls with the goal of identifying and characterizing novel AD risk genes and variants. Assists in developing and conducting research projects, including experimental design, data analysis and documentation of experimental results.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Following instructions and discussions with principal investigator, designs research protocols, including developing procedures for the collection, verification and management of data.
- Assists with grant preparation and reporting.
- Performs complex statistical analysis of data collected and writes interpretative reports. Verifies the correctness of the data submitted and makes recommendations based on these analyses.
- Documents research topics and prepares and submits papers based on research work to publications and committees for publication or presentation to peers.
- Solves practical problems relating to difficulties with equipment or test subjects. Suggests technical or procedural improvements in testing methods.
- Conducts literature searches related to research project.
Master’s degree with 4 years of experience in research lab operations or equivalent combination of education and experience equaling 9 years required.
- PhD in human statistical genetics.
- Formal training in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Statistical Genetics, Medical Statistics, Mathematics or similar.
- Strong background in second-generation sequencing analyses (DNA and RNA), GWAS analyses (PLINK and SKAT-O), and multivariate and mixed model analyses.
- A working knowledge of UNIX, Perl/Python and R.
- Analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Ability to analyze and interpret statistical data and to communicate data in a clear, concise manner.
- Computer literacy including the ability to use a variety of software packages to analyze data.
The hiring range for this position is $43,856 - $59,222 annually.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please visit our website at http://hr.wustl.edu to view a summary of benefits.
Applicant Special Instructions
Works in a computer laboratory.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Staff Scientist - Psychiatry - 40320
Job ID: 40320
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time