Washington University of St. Louis Postdoctoral Research Associate - Surgery - 47374 in St. Louis, Missouri
Post Doc Instructions
Please do not submit an application to this posting. To apply for this postdoctoral research opportunity, follow the directions below in “Applicant Special Instructions”.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Surgery. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
There is an opening for a postdoctoral fellow in the laboratory of Dr. Nupam Mahajan. The lab has been working on studying various signaling mechanism in prostate and breast cancer, including epigenetic processes (histone phosphorylation, methylation and acetylation) that drive these diseases and their role in immune modulation. The lab also has a robust program in the development of small molecule inhibitors as therapeutic options for these cancers.
The lab has previously identified two new epigenetic events, which play crucial role in prostate cancer and cellular homeostasis (Cancer Cell, 2017; Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, 2012). The underlying mechanisms of the oncogenic activity of these epigenetic events, however, remain unresolved. Multiple research opportunities are therefore available for highly motivated individuals with an interest in cancer epigenetics and/or therapeutics. Projects include, but are not limited to, (i) the study of genetic interactions using genetically engineered mouse models, (ii) molecular analysis of epigenetic crosstalk, and (iii) the effects of these epigenetic events on the tumor immune response.
Investigation of these studies involves the use of state-of-the-art mouse genetics, functional genomics, next-generation sequencing, bioinformatics, molecular biology, tumor biology and hematopoiesis.
For additional information about our lab, please visit lab website at: https://mahajannlab.wustl.edu/.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs research experiments.
- Assists in the design of research experiments.
- Evaluates research findings and assists in the reporting of the results.
- Prepares and submits papers on research.
- Assists with grant preparation and reporting.
Responsibilities and Obligations of a postdoctoral appointee include:
- The conscientious discharge of his/her research responsibilities.
- Conformity with ethical standards in research.
- Compliance with good laboratory practice including the maintenance of adequate research records, both paper and electronic.
- Open and timely discussion with his/her mentor regarding possession or distribution of material, reagents, or records belonging to their laboratory and any proposed disclosure of findings or techniques privately or in publications.
- Collegial conduct towards co-trainees, staff members and members of the research group.
- Adherence to all applicable University policies, procedures and regulations. All data, research records and materials and other intellectual property generated in University laboratories remain the property of the University.
Additional information on being a postdoc at Washington University in St. Louis can be found at postdoc.wustl.edu/prospective-postdocs.
Ph.D., M.D. or an equivalent terminal or doctoral degree.
- Experience with mouse models.
- Knowledge of bioinformatics and next-gen sequencing analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to perform independent research in biomedical sciences.
- Published results in peer reviewed journals.
Base pay commensurate with experience.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://hr.wustl.edu/benefits/.
Applicant Special Instructions
Applications should include a brief cover letter highlighting the applicant's research experience and interests, along with full curriculum vitae and the names and contact information of three references to Dr. Nupam Mahajan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Postdoctoral Research Associate - Surgery - 47374
Job ID: 47374
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time