Washington University of St. Louis Pediatric Cardiac Sonographer - Pediatrics Cardiology - 46608 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Pediatrics Cardiology. The position is located at St. Louis Children's Hospital. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Perform high quality pediatric and adult congenital echocardiograms following outlined pediatric echo protocols. The sonographer will be responsible for the independent operation of sonographic equipment, performing all exams and discussing a summary of findings to the physician. Also perform related cardiology non-invasive diagnostic cardiology testing. Assist in the mentoring and training of faculty, fellows, staff sonographers and students. Participate in continuing medical education programs. Assist in Heart Station (CQI) continuous quality improvement process as outlined in the Heart Station Quality Assurance Protocol.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform pediatric and adult congenital echocardiograms in accordance with department standards
- Perform and analyze Pediatric and Adult Congenital Echocardiograms; requires an extensive knowledge of cardiac anatomy and physiology to ascertain diagnosis of complex congenital heart disease in the pediatric and adult congenital patient population.
- The sonographer demonstrates proficiency in the performance of all procedures and competency as outlined in the pediatric sonographer position guidelines. Performs these complex diagnostic exams and discusses findings with the pediatric cardiologist.
- The sonographer demonstrates the ability to utilize the computer programs and databases in regards to work flow in accordance with department standards.
- Perform non-invasive testing
- Holter Monitor and Cardiac Event Monitor testing
- Cardiovascular Stress Testing
- Stress Test Gas Analysis
- Stress Echo
- Work with and assist physicians with special procedures
- Trans esophageal Echocardiograms; in-patient, ambulatory procedure center, operating rooms.
- Provide echocardiographic guidance during Heart Biopsies, Pericardial Centesis, atrial septostomy and trans-catheter device placement.
- Sedated Echocardiograms.
- Dobutamine Stress Echocardiograms.
- Participate in continuing education programs
- Attend weekly lectures related to Pediatric and Adult Congenital Echocardiography or Pediatric Cardiology.
- Coordinate and /or assist with presentations of technologic updates or conference summaries.
- Maintain credentials with ARDMS or CCI by fulfilling the required accredited continuing medical education activities.
- Maintains certification and is able to deliver basic cardiac life support (BCLS).
- Training and mentoring
- Participate with training, mentoring and orientation duties for new faculty, fellows, staff sonographers and students.
- Training programs will be approved by the Heart Station Medical Director and Heart Diagnostic Services Manager and be in accordance with the American Society of Echocardiography Committee on Education and Training and IAC.
- Heart Station CQI; continuous quality improvement process
- Assist in maintaining equipment, document necessary repairs in the Heart Station Equipment Log, and report to the Heart Diagnostic Services Manager.
- Participates in Quality Assurance process for Intersocietal Accreditation Commission.
The successful candidate must possess a thorough understanding of (1) normal and abnormal cardiac anatomy, (2) normal and abnormal cardiac function and hemodynamics, (3) qualitative and quantitative aspects of echocardiograms, and (4) anatomy and pathophysiology of disease processes. Credentialing in pediatric or adult echocardiography through one of the examinations recognized by the ASE, ARDMS (Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer), or CCI (Registered Cardiac Sonographer) must be obtained within one year of hire.
- Five years of full-time experience in echocardiography with pediatric emphasis is highly preferred.
- Ability to perform all facets of non-invasive cardiology tests, as outlined in section one.
- Able to work and function independently.
- Knowledge of computer systems.
- Ability to maintain a good rapport with pediatric and adult patients and their families is essential.
- Ability to maintain a professional manner with respect to interaction with physicians, nurses and other involved personnel to provide exceptional patient care.
It is preferred that the successful candidate meet one of the following educational requirements:
- Associate’s degree in an allied health education program that is patient-care related.
- Bachelor’s degree in sonography or a clinical science/health related program.
- Graduation from an accredited sonography program specializing in echocardiography.
The hiring range for this position is $27.15 - $42.08 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7
Applicant Special Instructions
JOB LOCATION/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Heart Station Lab is based in a pediatric hospital. It is a necessary part of the job description to need to move heavy portable equipment.
- Follow universal precautions standard guidelines are adhered to with all patients; with considerate special attention to high risk patients.
- Some travel necessary to outreach clinics.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Pediatric Cardiac Sonographer - Pediatrics Cardiology - 46608
Job ID: 46608
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time