Washington University of St. Louis Neurology in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Neurology. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
This position is a member of a multi-disciplinary research team and performs duties associated with the coordination and implementation of research studies/projects, data collection, and the management of data generated by study protocols. This position involves assessment of research participants and interactions with research participants, family and caregivers in a research setting. This position interacts with patients who have mild to moderate dementia and healthy control volunteers. The nurse coordinator is part of the assessment team evaluating cognitive performance and managing clinical issues such as dementia, depression and referral for genetic counseling and testing.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works under the principal investigator’s guidance to meet the research objectives of the project.
- Performs research study and clinical trial procedures including assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of patients to provide lab and study data according to established protocol; collects data (e.g. basic health information), assists with a neurological lumbar puncture (spinal tap) and documents as required by protocol; manages spinal catheters and redresses them as necessary; monitors and manages participants in the inpatient research unit; assists principal investigator and physicians.
- Works with staff to identify, screen, and enroll study participants; serves as the contact person for research participants; provides study participants (patients), families and caregivers education about the studies, dementia and dementia care.
- Prepares/submits event reports in adherence with study procedures, budget, and established guidelines; complete Human Studies Center forms required by studies.
- Brain donations and autopsy: The nurse rotates with other nurse coordinators so there is 24 hour availability to coordinate autopsy arrangements for brain donors (night and weekend call is required for brief periods). He/she will write expiration summaries as assigned.
- Assists in manuscript preparation and publishes jointly with the research group.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program.
- Current Missouri RN licensure in accordance with the Compact Act; Basic Life Support certification (Online BLS certifications, those without a skills assessment component are not sufficient to meet the BLS requirements.).
- Clinical research certification; 1 year of clinical research experience, preferably in an academic research setting.
- Working knowledge of techniques and methodologies used in developing, coordinating, and managing clinical research projects.
- Expert clinical nursing skills, critical thinking, therapeutic communication, knowledge of the dementia patient, interest in gerontology and research, self starter, able to function independently, empathetic.
The hiring range for this position is $48,402 - $67,683 annually.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Med School HR website (medschoolhr.wustl.edu)
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Nurse Coordinator l - Neurology - 41418
Job ID: 41418
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time