SSM Health Genetic Counselor in St. Louis, Missouri
Work as member of laboratory team, and provide information and technical support to outside clients, Children’s providers and laboratory staff. Coordinate and track specimens, report results, and act as client liaison to recommend medical or genetic testing based on analysis of the risk, benefit and cost. Serve as educator and resource for in-house staff, clients, other health care professionals and the general public. Review send out test orders and work with lab team to achieve the laboratory quality and customer service goals.
- Provide information to clients regarding the laboratory’s tests including the appropriate use of tests, limitations/accuracy of tests, possible testing outcomes, sample requirements, interpretation of results, suggestions for appropriate consultations, resources, and/or follow up for cases with abnormal results. Assist clients with the logistics of test requests and obtain clinical information for patients when necessary
- Develop a knowledge of testing technologies used in the laboratory, research significance of mutations, draft test interpretations, counsel physicians and allied health providers on cost-benefit ratio of testing, educate providers regarding insurance pre-authorization processes & connect them to appropriate support resources, Act as resource to physicians & other staff regarding genetic disorders. Represent the lab at internal and extremal events.
- Design/maintain reporting templates, coordinate/track samples for family or IRB studies,
- Participate in activities which improve Send out Services and Laboratory Services, monitor test utilization by in-house providers, assist in selecting reference labs by researching sensitivity, specificity, detection rates, cost and TATs,, Develop on-line resources to decrease telephone inquiries,
- Assist with development/maintenance of protocols for processing test results, Assists with creation and maintenance of appropriate CPT codes, ICD codes and requisition design. Maintain and update client resources including communication and promotional materials, lab test fact sheets and hospital websites. Assist in developing relevant clinical and lab policies regarding new tests.
- Master of Science in Genetic Counseling
- 2 years of experience in health care or related field
- Board certified by the American Board of Genetic Counseling or American Board of Medical Genetics OR as a condition of employment must successfully obtain ABGC Certification within two (2) years of employment.
- State license as a Genetic Counselor
*SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital – *
SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital is a not-for-profit, 190-bed inpatient and outpatient pediatric medical center in St. Louis, MO. We specialize in neonatology, cardiology, pediatric and fetal surgery, and cancer services. We care for children of all ages from St. Louis, Missouri, Illinois and from around the world. We also focus on the overall health of our communities in addition to the health of the children living in them. _Our love for kids just keeps on growing! _
Req ID: 18007646
Primary Location: Missouri-St. Louis-SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital
SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital (0010) 1465 S. Grand Blvd. St. Louis, 63104
Schedule Hours Per Pay Period: 63104
Weekend Rotation: Full Time
Normal work hours: Clinical Support & Technical Services
Job: SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital
Organization: SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital
Work Locations: SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital (0010) 1465 S. Grand Blvd. St. Louis, 63104