Washington University of St. Louis Division of Comparative Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Division of Comparative Medicine. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
*POSITION SUMMARY: *
Provide and document care and husbandry for rodent animal species in accordance departmental SOPS and regulations and guidelines of the Animal Welfare Act and the Public Health Service to assure a quality animal care program that supports the research and teaching at Washington University. Work on a rotating weekend and Holiday schedule is required.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide and document daily husbandry care to rodents in the vivarium to include the provision of feed, water, clean cages, and enrichment.
- Sanitize maintain rodent colony rooms to include sweeping and mopping of animal quarters, rotating animal cages, large equipment and room supplies for cleaning according to schedule, and disinfecting all areas in room.
- Daily observation is required to monitor behaviors, illness or death in animals and report to Supervisor, Facility Manager or DCM Veterinarian in a timely fashion.
- Record keeping of daily animal census and sanitation of animal room.
- Perform additional duties as required by supervisor/manager/department.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- REQUIRED LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: None at hire; must obtain Purina certification within 6 months. Must obtain AALAS certification at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician level (ALAT) within two years.
- Have the ability to comprehend written and spoken English terms used in a biomedical research environment.
- A conscientious attitude and concern for quality is a must.
- Have the ability to follow Standard Operation Procedures.
The hiring range for this position is $12.45 - $15.20 per hour.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Med School HR website (medschoolhr.wustl.edu)
Applicant Special Instructions
Must be able to lift 50 lbs and pass a pre-employment physical exam.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Laboratory Animal Technician I - Division of Comparative Medicine - 41939
Job ID: 41939
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time