Washington University of St. Louis Center for Cellular Imaging in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Neuroscience, in the Washington University Center for Cellular Imaging (WUCCI). This position is for the Medical School Campus.
EM Technican will work in close conjunction with the senior EM staff in the Center for Cellular Imaging under the general supervision of the Center Director. For more information please go to: http://wucci.wustl.edu.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- EM Sample preparation/General lab duties - Prepare samples for TEM and SEM imaging and take and analyze images for University researchers.
- Prepare buffers and solutions as required and directed.
- Assist with basic electron microscopy sample preparation.
- Assist with and perform Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) imaging and perform Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) imaging as required.
- Assist in the preparation of biological specimens using cryogenic techniques such as slam freezing and freeze fracture for the preservation of cellular ultrastructure and membrane morphology.
- Acquire and process biological specimens using tissue extraction, sectioning, and chemical fixation techniques.
- Assist with immunocytochemical labeling of tissues and cell cultures using monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies by pre-embedding and post-embedding methods.
- Assist with preparation of specimens using dryogenic techniques for the preservation of cellular ultrastructure and membrane morphology.
- Under direction from senior EM staff, reconstruct electron microscopy data sets (serial sections, tomograms, ect).
- EM Equipment/Lab Maintenance - Maintenance of the TEM, SEM and sample preparation equipment.
- Assist senior EM staff by checking and maintaining stocks of reagents for methods involving tissue culture, antibody reagents, buffers, etc.
- Assist senior EM staff by maintaining a monthly freezer inventory of primary and secondary antibodies, seras, toxins and dyes. Defrost and keep general used antibodies stocked. Aliquot new antibodies, assign freezer rack and box, enter new antibodies into the database.
- Ensure designated work area, and various pieces of equipment used are clean and prepared.
- Maintain records of equipment usage and report maintenance issues of equipment.
- Ensure Center is in compliance with EH&S; protocols and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree and up to 1 year of experience in a laboratory setting or equivalent combination of education and experience equaling 4 years required.
- BS degree in Biological or Biomedical Sciences with 1 year of experience working in a microscopy lab environment.
- Independent thinker willing to tackle challenging problems.
- Proven organizational and time management skills to successfully set priorities, meet established deadlines and recognize new problems with constantly changing priorities and frequent interruptions.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) needed to interact professionally and effectively in the work environment.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and discuss research materials. Proven ability to write, edit and proofread research results.
- Ability to diplomatically and professionally interact with all levels of University staff and external contacts.
- Knowledge of standard laboratory and safety procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as MS Office, e-mail, etc.
The hiring range for this position is $14.07 - $18.99 per hour.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please visit our website at http://hr.wustl.edu to view a summary of benefits.
Applicant Special Instructions
Works in laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological, chemical and radioactive hazards. Must be physically able to wear protective equipment. Must be able to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Technician II (Electron Microscopy) - Center for Cellular Imaging - 40441
Job ID: 40441
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time