Washington University of St. Louis Cardiology in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Stitziel Laboratory located in the Cardiovascular Division of the Department of Medicine. Our lab is affiliated with both the Center for Cardiovascular Research and the McDonnell Genome Institute. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
A staff scientist position is immediately available with a primary focus on functional genomics using human cells. Techniques used will include reprogramming somatic cells to obtain induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), genome engineering of iPSC lines, and differentiating iPSCs into various cell types of relevance to cardiovascular disease. Assists in developing and conducting research projects, including experimental design, data analysis and documentation of experimental results.
Our lab focuses on identifying novel genes and mechanisms for complex and Mendelian forms of cardiovascular disease. We study these problems in hopes of applying genetic findings and techniques to improve clinical care and human health.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designing experimental approaches with the principal investigator, developing research protocols, including procedures for the collection, verification and management of data.
- Assisting with grant preparation and reporting.
- Performing cell culture and reprograming somatic cells into iPSCs.
- Designing approaches and executing genome editing using CRISPR/Cas9.
- Documenting research topics and preparing and submitting papers based on research work to publications and committees for publication or presentation to peers.
- Solving practical problems relating to difficulties with equipment or test subjects. Suggests technical or procedural improvements in testing methods.
- Conducting literature searches related to research project.
Master’s degree with 4 years of experience in research lab operations or equivalent combination of education and experience equaling 9 years required.
- PhD in a genomics-related field.
- Familiarity and experience with genome editing techniques.
- Independent and self-motivated.
- Experience with cell culture and handling iPSCs/ESCs.
- Analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Ability to analyze and interpret statistical data and to communicate data in a clear, concise manner.
- Computer literacy including the ability to use a variety of software packages to analyze data.
The hiring range for this position is $46,779 - $63,170 annually.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please visit our website at http://hr.wustl.edu to view a summary of benefits.
Applicant Special Instructions
Works in laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological, chemical and radioactive hazards. Must be physically able to wear protective equipment. Must be able to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Staff Scientist - Cardiology - 42049
Job ID: 42049
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time