Washington University of St. Louis Biology in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week. The standard five-day work week includes weekends.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Biology. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
Position provides environmental and nutritional care for research animals housed at the Danforth Campus.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides feed and water to research animals in an assigned area.
- Washes and cleans/sterilizes cages, pens and equipment.
- Prepares washing and disinfecting solutions and performs general housekeeping duties as assigned.
- Receives and processes newly arrived animals, administers routine medications and special diets as instructed.
- Receives and stores material and supplies.
- Participates in training, continuing education, AALAS certification and Occupational Health programs.
- High School diploma
- Basic computer skills, ability to work effectively with minimum supervision, set and execute priorities.
- Required lifting 50 lbs. or more, heavy labor. Must have a valid driver's license.
- The applicant must be committed to the highest standards of laboratory animal care and husbandry in an AAALAC-accredited program.
- Cannot be allergic to animals as handling of various animals is required.
- Efficiency, flexibility, attention to detailed instructions, and ability to work independently are a must in order to meet the changing needs of the facility.
- The applicant must have strong interpersonal skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, time management skills and be trustworthy and reliable.
- Occupational health vaccinations are required.
Animal care experience preferred.
The hiring range for this position is $12.45 to $15.20 per hour.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
- Retirement Savings Plan
- 22 vacation days
- 8 Paid Holidays
- Sick Time
- Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
- Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
- Free Life Insurance
- Health, Dental, Vision
- Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Flex Spending Plan
- Other Benefits
Human Resources website (hr.wustl.edu)
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Animal Caretaker I - Biology - 41192
Job ID: 41192
Location: School of Arts & Sciences
Full/Part Time: Full-Time