Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories Senior Scientist - Oncology Diagnostics in Lee's Summit, Missouri
Viracor Eurofins is dedicated to being the leading specialty diagnostics laboratory partner in immunology, infectious disease, and allergy testing. We offer a range of unique clinical laboratory and biopharmaceutical services and provide exceptional test turnaround times. More than 4,000 healthcare providers, commercial laboratories, and biopharmaceutical companies rely on us for our unique and convenient services.
Viracor Eurofins is searching for a Senior Scientist - Oncology Diagnosticsin Lee’s Summit, MO.
This is a Full Time position. Schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:00AM – 5:00PM, with overtime as needed. Candidates currently living within a commutable distance of Lee’s Summit, Missouri are encouraged to apply.
The ideal candidate would have previous experience with oncology diagnostics by Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)
_Basic Function and Scope of Responsibility: _
The Senior Scientist – Oncology Diagnostics is primarily responsible for the leadership development, optimization and validation of innovative methods to detect cancer-related genes utilizing technologies based on next-generation sequencing (NGS) of multi-gene panels for both circulating tumor cells and tissue-based approaches.
Essential Job Duties:
- Provide leadership, supervision and technical guidance/oversight for Research Scientists, and for projects that these scientists are leading and contributing to ensure program productivity and efficiency
- Work closely and effectively with VP of R&D; to ensure that R&D; projects are progressing and milestones are achieved pursuant to organization and/or client timelines
- Manage performance of assigned laboratory scientists and support staff
- Work closely and effectively with Research Scientists to prioritize use of equipment and facilities for maximum productivity and efficiency
- Communication effectively with both internal and external clients regarding scientific issues/projects
- Write verification/validation reports and SOPs in accordance with Viracor Eurofins’ established guidelines
- Maintain and enhance R&D; laboratory resources (facilities, equipment, and reagents)
- Ensure project cost objectives are met and communicated
- Serve as team member on various ongoing and future new test idea generation projects
- Develop and maintain an effective working relationship with clinical laboratory team to allow effective, coordinated assay transition from the R&D; phase to clinical use
- Develop an effective working relationship with Regulatory Affairs/Quality Assurance to assure R&D; laboratory is in compliance with Viracor Eurofins’ established guidelines for documentation, quality and safety
- When appropriate, recruit and hire a sufficient number of qualified and trained laboratory assistants to maintain and support R&D; activities
- When appropriate, conduct regular individual meetings with R&D; Scientists that focus on execution of their respective responsibilities and project priorities
- Communicate program objectives to cross-functional teams (clinical laboratory, regulatory teams)
- Commitment to a high quality of work and at the same a high level of productivity
- Maintain current knowledge of advances in pertinent scientific fields, as well as knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations germane to molecular and diagnostic laboratories, through attending lectures, seminar, professional conferences and courses
- Regularly contribute to laboratory team meetings that focus on associate training, associate development and continuous improvement in laboratory processes
- When appropriate, identify and develop training programs for R&D; Scientists and dedicated staff
- Preparation of poster presentations for national scientific meetings
- Prepare manuscripts for publication in peer reviewed journals
- Represent department and the organization favorably and in accordance with established Company standards and associate attributes at all times
- Active participation in team and company meeting
- Participate in developing corporate goals, objectives, and systems
- Other duties as assigned by management
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive experience and demonstrated accomplishments in oncology and genomics diagnostic testing with an emphasis on next-generation sequencing (NGS) methods, development of high-throughput bioinformatic analyses, and interpretation of results. Technical expertise as well as team and program leadership experience will be required. PhD or 5 years of experience equivalent to a PhD-level scientist is preferred.
- A strong understanding and background in oncology and laboratory medicine, especially sequencing-based diagnostics used to guide clinical actions, such as the choice of drugs or drug combinations
- Working knowledge of molecular profiling as a standard technique for classifying tumors within guidelines established by the College of American Pathologists and the National Comprehensive Cancer Network
- Direct, extensive experience in NGS methods and technologies.
- Experience and conceptual understanding in bioinformatics pipelines used in oncology-related NGS diagnostic methods.
- Advanced degree in microbiology, immunology, biology, biochemistry or a related field is required; PhD preferred
- 5 years diagnostic and/or molecular or immunology research laboratory experience preferred
- At least 5 years of experience on assay development, validation and transition to a clinical environment
- Expertise and experience in biochemistry, molecular biology/genomics, or immunology assay development, verifiable through patents, publication or description of completed projects
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Demonstrated proven experience in managing complex projects, ability to succeed even with challenging projects, appreciation of priorities and critical factors.
- Substantial technical writing: protocols, study reports, regulatory communications and manuscripts
- An innovative and prepared mind to identify and protect unique intellectual properties is a bonus
- Commitment to and track record of high quality of work
- Experience with quality systems
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other groups
- Goal oriented, with excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to interact effectively and work efficiently with people at all levels in an organization
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Keenly attentive to detail
- Ability to keep sensitive information confidential
- High level of proficiency with PC based software programs
- Physical dexterity sufficient to use hands, arms, and shoulders repetitively to operate a keyboard and other office equipment, use a telephone, access file cabinets and other items stored at various levels, including overhead
- Ability to speak and hear well enough to communicate clearly and understandably with sufficient volume to ensure an accurate exchange of information in normal conversational distance, over the telephone, and in a group setting
- Ability to continuously operate a personal computer for extended periods of time (4 or more hours)
- Mental acuity sufficient to collect and interpret data, evaluate, reason, define problems, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, make valid judgments and decisions
The essential physical and mental requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
As a Eurofins employee, you will become part of a company that has received national recognition as a great place to work. We offer excellent full-time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, life and disability insurance, 401(k) with company match, paid holidays and vacation, personal days, and dental and vision options.
To learn more about Viracor Eurofins, please visit the following websiteshttp://www.viracor-eurofins.com andwww.eurofinsus.com.
Eurofins is a M/F, Disabled, and Veteran Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
Organization: Eurofins Viracor, Inc.
Location: MO, Lee's Summit
Job Code: 13831